For Solid Waste Management Entrepreneurs in Bangladesh
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has teamed up with YY Ventures to support 5 enterprises dedicated to building innovative solution for the proper handling of unwanted, non-reusable waste and finding alternatives to single-use plastics.
The Sustainable Solutions to Solid Waste Management (SWM) project was initiated by UNDP in response to the growing Rohingya crisis in Bangladesh. The Kutupalong refugee camp in Cox’s Bazar is currently home to almost 900,000 Rohingya refugees making it the largest refugee camp in the world. Currently, the camp generates 119.8 tons of waste per day. The project aims to address the pressing SWM necessities both in the host communities and refugee camps
Multilayer plastics (MLP), single layer plastics (SLP), wasted clothes, wrappers and foil papers are considered as non-valuable materials which have no demand in the local market, and as a result, they end up in the drains, water bodies and landfills. However, these materials have a potential to be up-cycled and recycled into different products. This program gives the scope to engage enterprises to design and develop prototypes to solve these problems.
Learning Journey in Teknaf and Ukhia Upazila
Opportunity to win grant funding of $10,000
Benefits entrepreneurs will receive
World Class Training
This program will allow entrepreneurs to construct their innovative ideas in the presence of successful entrepreneurs and design thinkers who have built Social Businesses on ground and worked with reputed global companies. Participants will also go on a day long field trip to the Teknaf and Ukhia Upazila to receive hands on experience, which will later allow them to prepare a market assessment and develop their supply chain.
Selected entrepreneurs will receive tailored mentoring from a pool of seasoned professionals and industry experts. Our programs team will work closely to diagnose the needs of each entrepreneurs and connect them with experts for advise and support.
Selected enterprises will receive grant funding up to $10,000 for their prototyping, market assessment and supply chain design after being reviewed by a panel of judges.
Access to Network
Entrepreneurs will have access to a community of compassionate, creative, and committed social entrepreneurs who aim to achieve collective progress through collaboration and exchange. They will also be able to access to our network which includes PUM Netherlands, Impact Hub Network, Netherlands Enterprise Agency, and the Grameen family of Social Businesses.
We are looking for you
Any new business, startup or Social Business registered in Bangladesh can apply for the program.
Where you can use the funding
Enterprises can use the funding for the followings:
- Purchasing machines: Machineries can be purchased with the funding.
- Purchase tools: Safety equipment and gears, necessary tools for recycling plastics can be purchased.
- Purchasing raw materials: Funds can be used for purchasing recyclable raw materials.
- Increase manpower: Funds can be used for providing salaries to employees with proper justification.
- Sorting and storage facility: Funds can be used to build new facilities to sort and store recyclables in an organised and effective way.
Where you cannot use the funding
The following activities will not be authorised under the Program:
- Opening or duplicating current operation in other areas: The recipient must not use the funding to duplicate the same operation in any other location.
- Political lobby, speed money and illegal activity: The grant funding cannot be used for any sort of political lobbying, speed money or illegal activity.
- Legal activity against government & others organisations: Spending funds for legal activity against the Government or other entities is not allowed.
- Pay loans or debts: No personal or organisational loan or debts can be repaid with the fund.
Got a Brilliant and Innovative Solution to deal with waste without value or have an
alternative solution to one-single-use plastics?
Join the Waste 2 Resources Program
Interested to join?
Please send us your details
For information or queries about the program please reach out to email@example.com.